Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hope.

I did it. And I sincerely hope everyone else did too.
I went to bed early last night and set my alarm for 1am. I went to sleep... and woke in time to watch the inauguration.
I'm so glad I did.
I love those moments when you're know you're watching history. Things like Diana's funeral (not that I "loved" that), the apology to the stolen generation, and Barack Obama's inauguration as US president.
It's not even that he's black, although clearly that makes it even more incredible and historic.
What is so special about it is that he really does offer hope. For those of us who have been wildly critical of the Bush administration to the point of becoming "anti-American", Obama says all the right things.
He wants to bridge the great divides in his own community, and in the global community. Extending a hand to all nations, as long as they unclench their fists in return, is an amazing and beautiful sentiment. I hope he can carry through.
Some people are criticising Obama because he says so much yet may yet deliver little.
Well maybe he won't deliver everything. Maybe circumstances will overtake him. Who knows?
But what I do know is, he's given people reason to hope.
It's the right word for the right time.
And I hope, I believe, he is the right man for the right time.
For once, well done America. You guys got it right.

1 comment:

Dave said...

It's all so very exciting :)