Monday, March 09, 2009

Caravaggio's latest

There is a dear young artist whom I have come to know and I am deeply in love with his work.
He paints sci-fi landscapes and strange portraits and it all has an other-worldliness to it that I find engaging.
I bought two pieces from his first exhibition. One for me and one for Thom-with-an-H. They look a bit like cartoon x-rays of beavers. Hard to describe. Awesome to look at.
Here is my latest purchase.

I really shouldn't be buying this. I really shouldn't. But I have my pennies from Kevin and it's my birthday and I thought "fuck it, why not?".
Art is good for the soul.
I love this character, whom I shall call Orange Tie. Why is there a crow on his sleeve? Why is his crown upside-down? Is it because it is a tree stump? He looks like a grammar school boy. Sad and depressed. Or an investment banker trudging home with the weight of the world on his shoulders.
The artist's name is Martin Wills (or Martin Wells if you read the local paper) and he's fabulous.
Here is another of his works.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ironically i was talking about this artist with Darcy last week. They're friends.

Bolton said...

Small freakin world. Did you realise it was the same artist?

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I recognised him by that last image.

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of photographing him with his art for the Guardian. Loved his artwork.