Sunday, March 08, 2009

Renovation

Forgive the bad attempt at creating a banner - I have absolutely no program at my disposal and even if I did, I have no skills whatsoever.
That aside, I decided it was time to renovate my blog.
This year is all about new beginnings.
My New Years' Resolution was, essentially, not to see in the next New Year leading the same life I have been leading for years.
At the time I actually intended to see in the 2010 New Year in London. Or at least overseas.
Since then the global financial buttfuck has descended to a degree I have not witnessed in my lifetime. There are no jobs. Friends are coming home from the UK. Those journos staying in London have jobs outside the industry. English are warning me against coming.
In short the US credit crunch has comprehensively fisted the UK job market and Dorothy is stuck in the land of Oz.
Probably. We do have a Plan B which still involves travel and we will certainly go on a holiday to visit our lads in Munich for Oktoberfest. No recession will stop Pennells squeezing me into leiderhosen.
Perhaps the other reason I'm in a renovating mood is that I turn 29 this week. And apart from the fact I'm booked in for my first botox injection and my erections aren't what they used to be, the thing that's really getting me down about my impending celebration is, I've been doing the same job for ten years. Essentially. I mean different papers, editors, roles... but essentially the same job.
I don't have a lot of money. I don't have much to my name. And I certainly don't feel like I have made a difference.
Don't get me wrong, I don't really want to make a difference but surely it's expected as some kind of gratis payment for a decade of shit pay?
No, it's the money I want. And the sense that when I wake up in the morning filled with enthusiasm and initiative and innovation and enterprise, it won't be shat on two hours later when I talk to some disinterested boss who's on twice my salary.
So here's my birthday resolution, if someone could hold me to it:
To not be doing with my life what I'm doing with my life now, by the time I'm 30.
By the time I'm 30, I want to be in private enterprise.
And leiderhosen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could perhaps enter private enterprise by becoming a professional blogger. Looks nice darling.

my name is kate said...

I too have the itch - and I'm not as even as hideously aged as you, petal. But I'll hold you to it - then when you're stinking rich in London I can be your live-in housekeeper. Plump your pillow Mr 'atch?

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved turning 30. I was empowered! I seem to remember your mother getting a bit snippity with me bout then....
Anyway next year you will be 30, I will be 40 (not so empowered now) and Dad will be 80. I think I feel some celebrations coming up....