Sunday, May 11, 2008

Hold me closer, Tiny Mincer

I'm not as eloquent as Johnsy when it comes to reviewing gigs I've been to, but I'm going to try.
Oh. My. Fucking. God.
(Told you).
Last night I joined a few thousand people in the rain to watch a man sit at a piano and sing a shitload of songs from the soundtrack to my life.
Elton.

I'm so glad I did. I took Michael, one of my oldest mates, and we made a night of it. I loved every minute.
He opened, after an intro piece, with The Bitch is Back, which has never really been one of my favourites. The first song to really give me that "OhmyfuckingGodI'mwatchingEltonJohn" feeling was Tiny Dancer (Hold me closer, Tony Danza). Great track. The crowd went spastic.
Then after a couple of new tracks no one got excited about, he rolled through Daniel, Honky Cat, Rocket Man, Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting, Candle In The Wind, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Bennie and the Jets, Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, Philadelphia Freedom, Someone Saved My Life Tonight, I'm Still Standing, I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, Sacrifice, Crocodile Rock and his second and farewell encore, Your Song.
Well Daniel has, for obvious reasons, always been a song close to my heart. When I was a kid I asked my Mum if there were any songs with my name in it... from memory after hearing The Beatles' Hey Jude. We were in the car park at Midland Gate in her old bright green Gemini. She mentioned Elton John's Daniel. About 20 minutes later it must have come on the radio and I've loved the big homo ever since. When he sang it last night I was like six years old again and back in that car park in Midland.
Rocket Man fills me with visions flitting between Apollo 13 and Stewie from Family Guy's hilarious spoken-word rendition of the song. It's probably on YouTube if you haven't seen it.
Candle In The Wind was a very special moment... cigarette lighters up and waving everywhere. A crowd of thousands singing long is a remarkable thing to hear.
And finally, Your Song, what a brilliant encore. Michael and I had been waiting for hours for that moment. It was a spectacular ending to a concert which was right up there as one of my top concerts of all time. Right up there with Tori Amos last year for sheer spectacular musical experiences. Honestly, I could have died last night and died happy.
Michael and I have for nearly a decade had an agreement that when I hit 40 we're flying to New York, hiring a car, and driving across the USA and pitching ourselves into the Grand Canyon. I turned to him after Your Song last night and said, "shall we just go now?".
LOL.
Truly, truly fantastic.
Thank you Sir Elton, you did not let me down. I still feel warm inside.

7 comments:

my name is kate said...

I saw Elton and Billy Joel together years ago (because I'm into what the hip young kids of today are listening to)and indeed he's a bloody good performer. I may or may not have shed a tiny tear (fuck off).

Nice new colour scheme too- really brings out the green in your eyes.

Anonymous said...

I saw Billy & Elton years ago as well, and that concert is in my Top 5. Where on earth did you dig up that old photo from?? Please tell me that is not me in it!!
Love The DOA

Anonymous said...

Hot pic btw. You know I've always had a thing for Bolton.

Dave said...

I am SO jealous. And very glad he was so good. ps love the new decor

Unknown said...

Very swanky new blog page. LOL. I think we need you to re-design The West blogs. Haha. I'm at home doing my uni stuff, this essay is no fun. I think it could be chocolate time, except I want the tasty buff builder from next door. Aaah...the joys of living opposite a building site.

Have fun writing about my favourite A-lister. LOL.

XX

Unknown said...

Very jealous of your time with Elton btw...

my name is kate said...

Snicker I've only just noticed the 'mince 1980' bit. champagne comedy.