Thursday, June 12, 2008

Excuse me, WTF?

Um, I've just had a 15minute phone conversation with a woman from the company who delivers my paper every morning.
For three weeks the paper wasn't delivered. Then we discovered it was being delivered out the front. For another three weeks Dad and I have been calling asking for it to be delivered to the back... where we actually live. It's not hard.
They've been filled with apologies and said yes yes yes, no problems. They actually went out with him one Saturday morning to show him exactly where it needs to go.
Well this morning I get a phone call from the company saying they're very sorry but the delivery man will not deliver the paper to our door. He'll lob it in the alley way 50m from our house, behind two locked doors, a gate an up a sandy passage, but he won't lob it at our door.
"I'm sorry we've tried but he won't do it".
Excuse me? Are you fucking serious? He's a paper delivery person. His sole job is delivering the fucking paper? How can he not deliver it to my door? How can he tell his boss he's not going to do it? How can his boss not force him to do it? He says our house is "off the round" and we should pay more.
Um, it's fine with the boss... who the fuck do you think you are?
Apparently it makes no difference that I work for the paper he's delivering.
He's also told his boss that she can't take on any extra clients because the round is too big as it is.
And it's taken them two months to convince him not to drive into a particular block of flats every morning because he wakes up a man who is dying of cancer with his headlights.
Compassion plus.
I'm so confounded. There is nothing I can do. The company don't want to sack him because "labour is hard to come by and apart from a few situations like this, he's actually doing a good job".
Umm... he's dictating terms to his employer in a ludicrous way. I don't see why the customers or customers-to-be have to suffer because of this man's misplaced egomania.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reason #1 to love Korea. They will deliver anything, anywhere. And, they will generally do it for free :):) Seriously - having some drinks in a random park on a Sunday aftertoon - get your food delivered to you in the park. Of course, to do this, you need a Korean to order... Giving an address in Korean is one thing. Directing the delivery man to the third tree after the flowers, down from the path is a little tricky.... :)

Dave said...

Good to hear distribution issues abound outside our company...
Pay peanuts get monkeys...

shiny said...

Not just delivery people, a couple of weekends ago I jumped into a taxi directing the driver to two different stops. At the first he asked me to get out and call another cab because he was running late for something. At 1am.