Tuesday, October 30, 2007

If I had Cyrillic on my keyboard...

...I could impress you with how much Russian I have already learned. But I don't so I can't.
I'm really digging this language though. It's like being let into a special club, learning another language. My Ruski is obviously extremely limited after just one official lesson but I've been doing a lot of study and working on building up my vocabulary. Also, just reading stuff in Russian to try and practice how they would be said is a very good exercise, which I'm really enjoying.
I'm eyeing off a Russian language version of The Chronicles of Narnia which I found on some book shop site or other. That would be so awesome... to be able to read a book in another language. It might take a while before I can do it, but it is my goal.

So far I can have the kinds of ridiculous conversations no one actually has:
A: This Lara?
B: Yes this Lara.
A: Lara student?
B: Yes, she student.
But I mean I've learnt a whole new alphabet and even an unpronouncable-in-English letter or ten so that I can have that silly disjointed conversation.
Loving myself sick in this Ruski.
PS... this is how you write Lion, Witch and Wardrobe: Лев,колдунья и платяной шкаф. Which would be pronounced "Lyev, Koldoonya i platyanoi shkaf".
(I think).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your Russian. I took it for about ten weeks a long time ago. I also took Armenian for a couple years along with my son - pretty cool learning a whole new alphabet with 38 letters. Russian movies are cool if you ever watch them - I've seen a couple really good ones. Jeff

Anonymous said...

I'm aiming to re-read Narnia in English. I suspect you might beat me to it, in Ruski. Still, I can say with very good authority that men talking in baltic languages is hot. Very hot.

L x