Sunday, March 02, 2008

A further note to my old chums at local papers

Dear friends, I'm not sure I explained myself well. I was having a whinge at my employers lack of interest in local government issues, the coverage of which is my domain.
On reading it back this afternoon I have a couple of concerns with the obvious interpretations.
Firstly, I wasn't remotely suggesting that I get all the news first. I'd have to be Superman (or Clark Kent, at least). There have just been a few instances where I could have beaten another news organisation but we didn't run the story when I had it for one reason or another.
The second point I was clumsily trying to get across was, there are fantastic stories out there that really really need to be out there in the public domain and as deserving of a wider audience as they may be, the only way people will hear about them is if they are printed in the local paper.
It's an important job and one that had a lot more job satisfaction than I get here, at the daily.
I'm not sure if any of you took offence or not... I couldn't quite interpret the two comments left which is why I re-read the post. Anyway, sorry for any confusion, beautiful people.

2 comments:

shiny said...

No ill will here. I think I'm subconsciously trying to ruin any future career in the state by bagging the only daily so I can grow dreads, move to Dwellingup and live out my days with a Labrador and a vegie patch. Or something. Keep doing what you know is right no matter if you see immediate rewards or not - that's the kind of thing that earns you respect. Don't be a stranger :)

Dave said...

No I didn't misinterpret you at all - I appreciated you imparting that knowledge on me - because I had wondered :)
In other news it's your birthday this week!!