Monday, July 24, 2006

Around the world in 80 gays

Maybe it is because I grew up in a place called Gidgegannup, but I have an obsession with crazy place names.
Western Australia is a veritable glory box of stupid place names. Kudos to our Aboriginal fathers for names that have been Anglicised into Wyalkatchem, Koolyanobbing, Mukinbudin, Bullamakancka, Perenjori, and Dalwallinu.
But this secret delight has now taken a new twist. I am compiling a list of crazy name places that I want to travel to. These are places around the world that are worthy of closer inspection, simply because they have a stupidly beautiful name.
I then plan to travel to them all in 80 days and I challenge the best (wo)man among you to a race around the world!*
The first such name to spark my attention is Bulawayo. I’m also fond of Soweto and Okavango. To be fair, I’ve pretty much been to the Okavango Delta. I got as close to it as Chobe National Park and Kasane, on the Botswana/Namibia border. But I’d love to go back, so that makes the list.
“But Dan,” I hear you ask, “aren’t you going to the UK?”. Well the answer is yes. I am going there to visit Chipping Sodbury and Chipping Norton and several other delightfully named places, including Brans Hatch - a town which is just begging for me to adulterate its signs for my own edification.
Anyway, all suggestions for Dan’s crazy tour of death based on superficial nomenclature are welcome.
*may not actually happen.

6 comments:

Rikki said...

Where do they 80 gays come into it? Are they the prize?

Bolton said...

maybe i could find a gay in each village?
every village has its gay.

Butchie said...

Dude- you have to do that. You could make a whole new blog. Eighty posts - eighty gay dudes. That would be cool.

Rikki said...

You're suprising me, butchieboy...

Butchie said...

I'm straight, but my blog is very, very gay.

Bolton said...

actually there has to be a freakin book in that.

omigod.

omigod omigod.

i'm gunna do it.

it's my next project after the doco.