Sunday, July 09, 2006

Who on Earth is David Tennant?

I am not remotely a fan of science fiction.
I match the definition of the word geek in many ways but sci-fi is one area where I collapse into terminological inexactitude (big-it-up to Thomp’s Donkey for that remarkable lexicographical treat).
I think Star Trek is possibly the saddest television ever made. I think Star Trek devotees are possibly the saddest people ever made. I don’t understand Battlestar Geraniums or those stupid Andrew Ridgeway Scott Alien films.
But there is one noted exception: Dr Who.
I was a massive fans of The Doctor as a kid. I remember watching Jon Pertwee in the role and then being amazed as he regenerated into Tom Baker.


Now Tom Baker’s Doctor was one of my childhood heroes. He fended off Daleks, Cybermen and – most terrifying of all – the planet of the spiders.
I was excited by the Paul McGann movie the 1990s (and then devastated by the absolute tripe that it was) and even more excited by Christopher Eccleston taking over in the new millennium.
Last night, the new version, with David Tennant as the Doctor, hit Australian TV.

Now I must confess I am in love. Not only is he dash-it handsome but he’s also every bit as good as Tom Baker. Eccleston may have had Baker’s bass-baritone bollock-soaked booming voice, Tennant has more of the innate eccentricity. (I don’t want you to think he does funny things to my sonic screwdriver or anything. I’m a fan, but I’m not about to start dribbling over ‘sexy’ aliens the way Trekkies do).
Baker was the definitive Doctor. No-one will ever beat that. But I think Tennant will come a lot closer than Davison, McCoy, or McGann.

And seeing as we’re playing with blue police telephone boxes, and seeing as the new Doctor Who focuses much more on London than in the past, and seeing as it is a year since the London bombings, and seeing as… well, you get the picture…

I stole this from another website. Kudos to whoever is behind it. Peace out. (Unless you’re a Dalek. No peace out to the Daleks).

2 comments:

Rikki said...

I'm in love too :)
Thom and I are up to episode 12... it hurts me to say that.

Bolton said...

oh rikki. it's okay.
we can be soul sisters together.

ooo... gotta go.... i'm knitting me a dalek costume.