Monday, April 16, 2007

I've had one of those life things...

At the risk of sounding like a twat, I feel utterly serene.
For the first time in my life I am totally comfortable and relaxed.
It happened while I was away. The sense of urgency has gone from my life. You can put it down to finally seeing London and all the great monuments if you like. You can put it down to turning 27 and realising that whatever I achieve from now on I achieve as an adult and will not be considered a “young genius”.
Whatever you put it down to, I am bizarrely calm.
I am travelled and rested.
I have decided that I love my job and the company I work for and am happy enough to take the career opportunities that come my way here for a year or two, before I panic about moving on.
I have decided that print, prose, is my first love and that flirtations with radio and television, while seemingly more exciting, aren’t as exciting to me sitting down to craft sentences and sniffing newsprint.
That’s actually a difficult thing to realise. Somehow you’re seen as more successful if you’re in the electronic media. I’ve realised that’s only in the eyes of the LCD, the ACA-watchers, not those who matter to me, or indeed, me.
I have decided there is nothing wrong with Perth. It’s a great place, it’s a good size, and it affords me a lot of opportunities I might not get elsewhere. I’m in no panic to work overseas any more. I loved London and I would happily live there and if an opportunity arose I would look at it, but I am very happy where I am. Perth is not failure.
I have a new hobby, which has introduced me to wonderful new friends who are so incredibly encouraging and welcoming. I have never been made to feel so welcome. I cannot believe that something as potentially cut-throat as comedy is such a ‘family’ in Perth. I have cottoned-on to something good here and I want to explore it much, much more. And I’m good at it. People laugh at my jokes. That is a huge rush. I love the process of writing a set and then the nerves I feel getting on stage. And I absolutely adore the wall of laughter that comes back at you for a joke well crafted and well told. It is the greatest reward.
Most importantly, I have love. I have someone who knows what I’m thinking and understands me. Someone who has the same interests as me but who challenges me. Who makes me laugh, who laughs at me. Who encourages me to give things a go and supports me in those things, even if it is a tad inconvenient for them. Someone who I cannot ever spend enough time with, even though I spend every spare second with them. Someone who just thinking about makes my heart and chest rush warm with blood. Someone who is surrounded by beautiful people who have adopted me into their hearts as if I am family.
I am 27. I’m not the famed success I thought I would be, but I’m happy with where I am. I have things I will do before I get old, but I’m happy to pace myself. I still dare to dream, but I have a better sense of reality. Urgency has left me. I am calm and happy.
Does this happen to everyone?

4 comments:

my name is kate said...

If only, you smug bint.

Bolton said...

well you're not 27 yet. i think it happens when you turn 27.

Anonymous said...

Home, sweet loving home!! Welcome home! Perth is always better with you in it!

Andrew said...

Awww, that's all so sweet.

Good for you!