Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Metaphors-a-go-go and knocking opportunity

So the situation at work is resolved. Backdowns all round have resulted in a general detente and non-proliferation treaty. I'm not really happy, I'm very disappointed in management, I'm not satisfied, but it is best to leave it.
But there will be fall-out. Nasty experiences and nasty tastes leave people uncomfortable. There will be changes. That is sad.
However, it was worth it to hear the piece of advice given my one of my line managers.
"It's a volcano that has boiled over and hopefully now the lava is halfway down the side of the mountain and some of the heat has gone out of it."

Nevermind that such an exquisite metaphor leaves me and the other villagers in Editorial Island either boiling to death in molten lava or drowning in the salty salty sea.
So at very least I have a new OSW-ism to include "in the mix".
On the otherhand it has spurred me into looking for new opportunities and I've discovered a very fab one going at a publication I would kill to work for, which I would not have noticed was available if I hadn't been so narky at work.
Perhaps it is time for me to be less apathetic about my career. The serenity is over. I'm feeling recharged and driven again. Or, if you prefer, my magma has bubbled to the surface again and is spewing forth after a short period of dormancy. And fuck the villagers.

No comments: