Monday, August 20, 2007

Horrendous

Last night I attended an accident on the freeway in which two elderly people were killed. It wasn't nice. At all.
The wreckage of metal and glass and human flesh was so intertwined that it the last seconds of the lives of the people in the vehicles played repeatedly through my mind. Crystal clear. As if I had witnessed it. Or been in one of the vehicles.
I had to sit at the scene for about three hours, watching rescue crews prize the vehicles apart, cut them open, and remove the unidentifiable inhabitants.
It was awful. And the newsroom wanted such detail. Such detail. I was shaking. And I was surrounded by macabre gawping tourists. People who couldn't resist coming down to look at the wreckage for fun. People make me fucking sick. Where is the humanity? This isn't CSI you fucking retards - REAL people died here. Detective Goran isn't down there making everything okay.
After I was allowed to leave the scene I had to go do my usual nightly rounds. I've never driven so carefully, or shook my head at so many other road users.
There are two things I want to say to everyone who reads this blog.
1) You are not invincible. Actions have consequences. Please be careful.
2) I love you. Respect yourself. Keep yourself safe.
Sorry if this seems like an over-the-top post... it's been a bitch of a night.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Jesus. We were just talking about that the other day, too. Horrible babe, just awful. Love you x

Andrew said...

That's very distressing and upsetting actually.

I would find it hard and odd if you didn't get caught up in the situation.

But, it's upsetting the newsroom wanted so much detail, but the general public getting in on it? It's a tad wrong. Also, I think it's a bit wrong if they show graphic photos in the newspaper, it's a type of voyerism that I don't appreciate particularly.

shiny said...

A little boy fell into the river and drowned when I was in Collie. It was heartbreaking - we were by the bank all day as the search was on because there was a hope that he was lost in the bush somewhere and not in the river.

When his body was found the ABC journalist insisted on getting footage of it being put into the ambulance. With family members watching. It was an ugly, ugly scene. Scuffles, accusations, swearing, the ol' "you vultures, go and get a real job".

I felt like I grieved for that little boy, even though I'd never met him. It was a horrible week.