Thursday, August 09, 2007

Life is different now

And I'm not quiiiiiite sure how I'm coping.
I keep getting sent on bizarre-O undercover missions. On Tuesday night I was actually staking-out someone's house waiting for them to come home. Last night I was staking out footy training. I felt like a dirty old man sitting in my car watching the (wrong, as it turns out) team of teenagers training.
I've jumped fences, door-stopped people outside Centrelink offices, had 900-year-old upstanding respectable nuns tell me to fuck-off... this has been a more diverse and sometimes unethical three weeks than I have had since I started in this silly game in 1999.
At the moment I am on nightshift so I'm not even getting my name in the paper. I'm spending eight hours a night listening to two police scanners and trying to decipher my 327s (domestics) from my 101s (armed robbery in progress).
So if you're reading the West you can assume shitty overnight police fillers were written by me, at the moment.
And finishing at 12am also has me quite tired. My clock is all out of whack.
Still... I don't actually mind nightshift. I just don't really get the chance to dig up stories and prove my worth to them... which is a bit of a pain when I'm trying to prove myself inside six months.
Even so, I'm still convinced this move was the right decision, even if I am having a few growing pains. In the words of Bubble upon discovering seedless grapes... "I'd never go back to pips now".

No comments: