Saturday, August 04, 2007

My. Kon. Os.

Three little syllables I have been unable to get out of my head for years: Mykonos.
The beautiful azure Aegean, the captivating white-washed buildings, the golden sun and sandy beaches, the... boys. (With their hairy backs).
I've wanted to go to Greece for a long time and now, I've decided, I'm going to do it.
I'm debt free. I've paid-off my car, I no-longer have a mortgage and I'm earning more than I have in years. I can afford to save for 12 months so I can go on a holiday.
And Greece is the destination. I want to see Athens with all its history and spend a couple of glorious weeks sipping ouzo in tavernas with Thom after a day on the beach or checking out ancient monuments. I want to island hop on big white ferries and party until dawn to bazuki music. Being so close, I might even pop over to Turkey and see Gallipoli, the Dardenelles and all the jingoistic oi oi oi-ness of it.
It's a year away, but I can already taste it. I cannot wait. In the meantime I shall read all I can and try, once again, to learn the language.
I didn't think the travel bug had bitten me at all, but it clearly must have. My desire to go to Greece has doubled again and again since I returned from my Greece-less European sojourn earlier this year.
Everyone needs a goal. This is mine.

No comments: