Saturday, September 30, 2006

Glamourfest

So last night I went to see the Boy From Oz, starring that fantastic creature Hugh Jackman.
I cannot help but feel he perhaps gave something extra to the performance because he was back in beautiful Perth - the place where he trained at the WA Academy of Performing Arts.
It was, without a doubt, the best thing I have ever seen. I laughed, I cried, I sang along, and along with several thousand other people I gave a standing ovation.
Hugh was shamelessly having as good a time as the audience. He was feeding off our energy and the crowd were collectively begging for more. His segues between songs moved between those required by the script and Hugh-being-Peter-Allen-being-fabulous-and-Hugh-being-just-a-little-bit-Hugh. He was the consumate entertainer - singing brilliantly, dancing, acting, tap dancing.
I know a few mates are seeing it later this weekend so I won't give it all away but my favourite part was the very sensitively handled duet between Peter and Greg (not the Brady Bunch characters, you understand). The DOA was in tears beside me. I was so f**king touched that she would cry at a gay love story. Makes me realise how cool she is. (I mean I knew she was, but it's comforting to know someone you love so much can see love as love is... and not get caught up in it needing to be between a man and a woman).
I thought the whole thing was well-handled in any case.
Big-it-up for Chrissie Amphlett by the way, who was just insanely good as Judy Garland. God THAT VOICE! And whoever the girl was who played Liza Minelli... OMIGOD it was like Liza was really there on stage. Well, that's assuming Liza is exactly like her character in Cabaret. LOL.
The big numbers were every bit as brilliant as you would expect: I Still Call Australia Home, Tenterfield Saddler, I Go To Rio - all exceptional. It was great to see Colleen Hewitt on stage (Nigel you popped into my head as I watched another Australian great on stage).
I know tickets to this are stupidly expensive... but for crying out loud if there is anyway you can afford it for fucksake GO AND SEE THIS SHOW.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh you know me too well, BG... Colleen Hewitt was the main (only?) reason I wanted to go n see BFO!! lol