Friday, September 08, 2006

They'll make good on this

I want to tell you about an incestuous little shire hamlet with a dull and colourless history.
Hugging a stretch of bitumen ribbon that ploughs its way through, across and around the Darling Range, are an oddment of service stations and rammed-earth buildings that serve as general stores, stock feeders and nurseries. This is the place I grew up. Or rather, it's the nearest bit of something that resembled civilisation when I was a child. The "village" was about five kilometres from the farm that was my world for the first 19 years of my life.
The only evidence I was ever there (apart from the long memories of the aged among the other long-established district families) is a bit of gold gilt on a primary school honourboard.
The place is Gidgegannup: A hitherto unremarkable centre of almost no interest set deep in the Perth hills on a goat-track of a road between the city and... (is there a name for the bit that isn't city?).
They no longer live on the farm (which sold last year for $1.5million or something site unseen from a buyer on the internet from the Eastern States and is nothing like the amount the olds got for it) but my grandparents are still up there. They're one of the rusted-on set up there. If it weren't for them I would never go to the place.
Gidgegannup is the sort of place where if people failed to get out before the trainline closed down, then they just stayed in-situ and began a breeding program.
Until now Gidgegannup has been fleetingly famous as:
a) the place Dan Hatch left
b) somewhere people drive through
c) somewhere to search for escaped prisoners from Wooroloo Prison
d) somewhere where the main tourist attraction is a slight (three foot) waterfall
e) being the only town in Australia where the local pub is located exactly 5km out of town (it's at the waterfall).
But today everything changed.
Today Australia's most famous touring car driver, Peter Brock, came to his untimely demise on one of the roads in the district.
This may sound callous, but the town will make good on this. And I'm not just talking feeding the media crews and mourners for the next few weeks.
They're just as likely to change the postcode to include an "05" and erect a bloody big sign saying "Brockie died here". They'd be tasteless enough to plant a tree in memoriam. Gidgegannup people are the kind of people to capitalise on this experience.
I know the road in question. I know the place where the rally was happening. So does everyone in the district. I can just here them down at the CWA.
"It's always been a dangerous corner, that one. It'd never happen to a local boy."
"I'd certainly never take that corner at speed. Trap for young players."
"That's nine we've lost on that stretch I can recall."
"Silly man, the camber or the road is out just there... tree roots as well. Honkynuts."
Me personally? This effects me on two levels. Firstly, Brockie was my Dad's absolute hero. He loved him. Idolised him for as long as I can remember. So that's very sad.
Secondly, it's great way to introduce my hometown into the documentary. At least people will think they've heard of the place. (See, I told you Gidge people were the kind to capitalise on it).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Gidge too, every road is just about a hairpin bend with a bloody great big gum tree fair in the middle. Unlike Dan, I love it, it was once home and nothing is as soothing as dark green trees, blue skies and granite rock.

Bolton said...

hmmm... now i want to know who you are! c'mon, spill.

Anonymous said...

So it was all in the bush eh?

Still, lol, these people sound like the type that think Today Tonight is real journalism.

Also, Peter Brock: Meh.

- Andrew

Bolton said...

oh i wouldn't go that far. they're not devil-worshippers.

actually in the last decade the place has completely changed. all the old farms have been subdivided and it's now a place where city people have weekenders.

*shudders*

Anonymous said...

Double shudder. I miss my cows but not the sheep. I hate sheep even more than Bolton

Bolton said...

even more than you hate me or even more than i hate sheep?

*worries*

also, who the fk is this? lol

Anonymous said...

Even more than you hate sheep! It must run in the family...... DOA

PS: on some days I even miss the pigs

Bolton said...

yeah sometimes i miss the pigs a bit, too.

how embarrassing. i didn't realise my DOA would tease me so. the granite reference threw me off. i figured you must be someone from the other side of gidge, not our side of gidge. our farm had coffee-rock... not much granite.

i certainly didnt think it was someone who grew up on exactly the same block of land as me. lol. tease.

love the doa. xx

Anonymous said...

She loves you back. The granite reference was because you see it as you drive up Red Hill.