Monday, September 11, 2006

How am I Who?

Bless them. I have two darling friends who I have held on to from my years in Albany.
One is Kerry - she of the green eyes and burnt incense who (quite rightly) once didn't talk to me for a month because I said she was high maintenance.
The other is Karen - she of the bagpipes and dancer's legs who's former hubby (quite wrongly) came to my place of work and punched me out for having an affair with his wife.
Apart from the fact they are dear friends of mine who I love absolutely and pay nowhere near enough attention, and the fact they live in Albany, they have one other thing in common: Dr Who.
Not just Dr Who, but their opinion of the new Dr Who, David Tennant, in relation to me.
A month or so back Kerry sent me a text message one Saturday night. "The new Dr Who reminds me of you xx", it said.
I figured that was okay. I probably do look a bit like him.


I thought not much more of it until Karen came to stay the weekend before last. We were mooching around an ABC Shop and there was a stand of Daleks and Doctors, etc.
"That new Dr Who reminds me a lot of you," she said?
"Now that's funny, Kerry said the same thing. What is it about him then? Do you think I look like him."
"No he's a wanker."
Dead set. That's what she said.
"The way he treats people and the things he says and the way he says them - he's you!"
I was dumbfounded, but I rang Kerry immediately.
"Darling, that text you sent which said the new Dr Who reminded you of me... why is that? Is it because I look like him?"
"No, not really. It's more his mannerisms and the way he speaks to people," she replied
"You mean he's a wanker. You think I'm a wanker."
"Oh well I wouldn't say it quite like that."
"But I'm a wanker?"
"Well sort of, yes."
(She never forgave me for that high maintenance comment - quite rightly).
My ego requires an occasional character assassination. I like to share them widely in the interests of humility (anyone who read a copy of the Bulletin from about 15 months ago knows what I mean) and it is in this spirit that I share the above.
Well, that and the vain hope that someone cute out there might think the new Dr Who is hot/intelligent/witty and might like to go out with me on the basis that I may actually BE David Tennant's incarnation of the Doctor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a comment in the Bulletin about you?

Also, yeah, my mate Nick never has a nice thing to say to my face (Wait, why is he my friend again?) but from what I gather from aquaintances, he speaks rather highly of myself (Or is that cooking skill only). Where am I going with this?

Still, the new Doctor, he's flippant (And an amusing wanker, not vindictive) if anything, and it mightn't be the best personal quality, but it's a quality none-the-less that is part of your personality. And I also <3 watching new Doctor Who, also I <3 watching Billie Piper rape the English language on a weekly basis.

"Docta! Docta! Whasha fink?"

- Andrew

Lindsay said...

Having said all that, I have a feeling it may be to do with the scarf. Emma Gant's Charlie Farlie has a blow up dalek too....

Bolton said...

yes i'm considering sending charlie farlie my wonderful dr who scarf that my grandmother knitted me. i just know he'd LOVE it.