Monday, January 28, 2008

Here's Johnny

Hands up everyone old enough to actually remember 21 Jump Street? I don't mean re-runs (have there ever been any?) I mean the original screening on Saturday nights around 1987 or so.
Yes, I was there. I was there for a young Johnny Depp. Even as a very young boy I found something seriously hot about this man. I had no idea at that point that he'd starred in Nightmare on Elm Street - a film which, to this day, I still have not seen and still refuse to.
But if anyone can induce me to see something violent, or weird, it is Depp. Just as well considering his penchant for working with Tim Burton.
Edward Scissorhands was, let's face, bloody weird. He's also played bizarre characters like Capt Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka. His incarnations are genius, though, and I love him for them.
Last night I saw a combination of all these Depp traits: A freaky, make-up wearing, murderous, big-haired, dark, dark, dark, creature... Sweeney Todd.
It is a freakin bloodbath of a film. So incredibly violent. Yet much of the film is faithful to the music of the Stephen Sondheim musical. And incredible piece of cinema. I had nightmares last night.
But I'm not here to talk about the film, I'm here to pick the Top Depp Freak Hair.
And the nominees are:




Because I have to say, for my part, the Sweeney Todd hair is so dash-it fantastic that I'd quite like to wear it myself.
I just worry that's not a healthy look to cultivate.
Now Johnny, if you're out there... can we have another "Chocolat" or even a "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" please? Pretty please?

4 comments:

my name is kate said...

I may or may not own a series of 21 Jump St on DVD. THat's all I'm saying, so you're pushing an open door here. Though the hair was a bit rude in the first series at least.

Anonymous said...

I spent my Saturday nights in front of the telly watching the glorious Mr Depp, Holly, Peter and the gang. The funny thing was, I always preferred Peter DeLouise more than pretty boy Johnny back in the day!! He definetly got hotter as he got older. Check out Nick of Time for another of his movies.
The DoA

Anonymous said...

Actually, Nick of Time was pretty crap. His Stephen King movies (Had "window" in the title) was excellent.
The DoA

Andrew said...

I never found Johnny Depp creepy. He's kind of like that wierd guy down the street.

Endearing yes, hot. No.

I'll have to see Sweeny Todd though.

Now Cillian Murphy. He's adorable!