Friday, January 11, 2008

Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Hitler?


I must have been 12, thereabouts anyway, when I was first transfixed by the opening titles of a TV show that was to change my adolescent life.
Not in any large and Earth-shattering way, you understand, but in the commitment sort of sense. I'l explain better in a second.
Drumbeats were followed by a brass marching band and the calls of parade marshalls ordering men around. The animation playing out on the screen was of arrows with swastikas and Union Jacks invading various parts of Europe. I was capitivated.
"Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Hitler, if you think Old England's down..."
I was already a fan of Hogan's Heroes and was one of those teens who was fascinated by old war movies, but when I saw that first few fantastic moments of classic BBC comedy I new I was going to have to be at home in front of the tele at 6.30pm every single night until I'd seen the everything "Dad's Army" had to offer.
A group of granddads, wet boys and spivs defending in true Spirit of the Blitz-style the seaside town of Walmington on Sea... practicing their drills and exercises nightly in the local town hall. The first episode I saw they had converted Jack Jones the butchers meat truck into an army van with sniper holes for shooting Gerry.
Why am I crapping on about this? Well last night I was driving home only to discover Radio National playing an entire episode! I was thrilled.
The platoon were practicing their drills but had no rifles... only broom handles with knives and forks tied to the ends. Corporal Jones was held-up by one of the village kids with a pop gun.
The whole thing was such a delight... it sent me straight back to my lil Goldstar tele, perched on the end of my childhood bed, watching every second anticipating the next belly laugh and desperately hoping mother didn't call me for tea.
To this day the catchphrase "They don't like it up 'em, Sir" is, ironically, a firm part of my repertoire.
Anyway, it's good, harmless, clever, clean fun. 5.30pm on Radio National if you get the chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be the gene's, I loved Dad's Army but my favourite was "It ain't Half Hot Mum" The British Army Entertainment Corps stuck in a jungle. Love it, is there a chance they will re-run that series?

DOA

my name is kate said...

Your dorky British tastes in entertainment delight me.

philbert83au said...

They were playing Yes Minister radio plays until this week, ah the pure brilliance. Radio plays are definitely underrated these days. And Goldstar went on to become LG, how the mighty grow!