Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hit me with something sexy from Dostoyevski

Russian is very hard work. It is a language you can read and write long before you can speak it.
So when you tell someone you're studying Russian and they immediately ask you to say something in Russian, they don't believe you when you come up with three awkwardly cobbled together words.
Usually after an extended pause. Mi yazavoot Dan, ya gavaroot pa ruski yazik... I usually come up with. Which is actually a stupid sentence.
Really, you want to be able to turn around and recite something sexy from Dostoyevski.
All the verbs and adjectives have different endings depending on whether they are male, female, singular, plural, neutral... I mean you could go nuts.
And I may actually be going nuts.
I love this language. I want to speak it. I need to learn it for my own satisfaction.
But the words aren't sticking in my head. Perhaps because when you learn it you can't just whack it in a sentence... you need to know at least four different versions of it.
"What", for instance, can be pronounced "kak", "Kakoye", "kakoi", "kakiye" or "kakaya"... and if you get it wrong people will laugh at you.
As it is I think I will have a bit of a thick accent. There are whole letters I still cannot really pronounce. I have to slow the word down and contort my face. Russians on the street will be calling out "oh look, here comes that Australian retard".
I think I may have to get an extra lesson a week. I'm struggling.
It's good for me to struggle though... I tend to sail through life too easily.

No comments: