Sunday, November 05, 2006

An unusual weekend

It has been an odd sort of weekend during which I once again failed in my only true obligation, visiting my Grandmother. I'm going to drive up to the farm one night this week - the guilt is killing me.

But I have had ample distraction. Firstly I should tell you I am not well. It happens to have coincided with the week I went into hospital but I have been in excrutiating pain. I first started getting incredible stomach pains when I was 13 and they have returned intermittantly ever since just to fuck me over when I least expect it. It started out as every couple of years I'd get a bout of it, but now it's quite frequent.
I had them quite badly when I was in Outback House and I've had them more and more often since. The pain is very sharp and intense and just underneath the sturnam. It's like indigestion x child-birth (I know the DOA and others are scoffing at that... but let me tell you it is painful).
In fact, it is bent-double cripplingly painful. When these pains are in full swing I cannot get comfortable at all - whether I sit, stand, curl-up or stretch-out. I find it hard to breath comfortably. It becomes hard to talk - if only because all I want to do is concentrate on lessening the pain.
I've tried various remedies and courses of tablets over time and there are certain foods I have to do without if I'm in pain because they seem to exacerbate the problem - but ultimately, so far, the doctors are a bit mystified. Hence my hospital visit on Thursday. Hopefully I'll know more soon - especially as my new tablets aren't stopping the pain.

Unfortunately the pain got to me so badly that I was in bed for most of last week. Other symptoms include an inability to eat (a total lack of appetite) and a desperate desire to sleep (probably through lack of nutrition). Actually, my eyes suddenly get heavy and I can doze off on the spot. It's a little scary. Net result: I left work at like 11.30 on Friday, was in bed by 12.30, slept til 6.30, watched tv for a few hours, went to bed at 9.30 and slept through til morning. Now THAT's a nanna-ish Friday night.
Saturday night was the Media Ball and I was still in a lot of pain, though I was better than I had been. I spent some of the afternoon with the truly brilliant DJ Lara H and that was the day's highlight. Though it was great to see everyone frocked-up for the ball. The women looked stunning: Linds with her Oscar hair, Sez in her party frock, McLigman, 'mara... all the girls! (Especially Bea, who if her being totally freakin hot was not enough to get her poached by the teeves, then surely winning the Suburban journo award is?).

I left early. I was gone by 11 or so. I did a glorious side-exit while no one was watching. I came home and sat in bed watching DVD's with New-Thom-With-An-H for a while afore nodding-off. So then, naturally, I spent most of today (Sunday) with him. We went for brekkie at lunchtime and then veged on the couch for the afternoon... watching... get this... Barbarella! What a FANTASTIC film! Who wouldn't want a shagpile-lined space-ship if they had the choice? The opening sequence is a 19-year-old Jane Fonda getting gratuitously nude. I'm freakin in love with this film. N-T-W-A-H and I were cacking ourselves. (Of course, he has seen it many times before). Later this week we shall watch the genius of Russ Meyer's Faster Pussycat Kill Kill.

And as I'm rambling and as I'm on the topic of N-T-W-A-H... I would never have imagined I could meet someone so like me, so perfect for me. He's so fucking incredible. Not only is he gorgeous but he has this AMAZING brain that I just LOVE and we are interested in all the same things and have the same obscure slant on life. We can disagree on things but we don't argue. I'm learning SO much from him. Although he's impatient and intolerant in the same ways I am, which is a concern! But he's brilliant. Brilliant. Fucking brilliant. I love this boy. This last couple of months (remembering this is despite enormous pain) have been truly incredible. I just can't get enough of him.

Right... now that I've jinxed my relationship, I'm going to bed....

No comments: