Friday, November 03, 2006

Vale Mr Foreman

Okay I'm the first to admit that I'm not a sports fan of any description, but I wanted to register my grief at the very untimely passing of a master broadcaster, Wally Foreman.
Listening to ABC Radio these past few days has been incredibly hard and as I pulled in the driveway just then I had to listen to afternoon announcer Bernadette Young choking back tears. (How's she's going to get through a three hour shift is beyond me).
Wally was a brilliant professional and to me the sound of his voice IS the sound of sport, the sound of summer, the sound of football, the sound of weekends, the sound of Grand Stand, the sound of the ABC.
It's totally impossible to imagine the airwaves without his distinctive voice.
I expect a State funeral to be announced at some point in the next couple of days.
Everyone I speak to is very sad about this. Very sad.

No comments: