Monday, October 09, 2006

Being a ZZZ-grade Perthonality...

I know I'm not as famous and powerful as Bree Maddox or one of her dildos, but there are certain honours that come with being a zed-list identity in little old Perth.
It's coming up to that time of year where people are booking even the most remotely recognisable faces for functions. In the last couple of weeks I've had some of these calls. Admittedly in each case, it is a friend who has come begging - pimping their particular organisation's esteemed event.
The darling Joc came a knocking a few weeks ago wondering whether I'd be delighted to host the City of Alannah MacTiernan Territory Carols By Candlelight. It was such a kind offer. However, if hosting an event I refer to annually as "death by public singing" wasn't enough to turn me off, then the fact my car would probably at least be on blocks if not gutted by fire by the end of the night probably was (it's a rough area). That said, I felt very guilty turning the offer down.
The next offer came from the Mt Barker Wine Producers Association, of which my uncle is some kind of committee member. They asked me to host their wine festival. Now this is the kind of invite I really don't mind. I did it earlier this year and had a blast. I was quite touched to be asked to return and do it again. (It was written up in the Albany Advertiser, which I found hilarious given that I wrote for their opposition paper for three years).
The problem I have with accepting the offer is that it is the same night as New Thom-with-an-H's planned 21st birthday celebrations (the much-vaunted two-week-long Festival of Thom). So I'm a bit stuck on this one. I have some hard choices to make. And I don't have long before I have to let them know.
While we're on the topic of ceremonies and events: The paper is FINALLY going to announce the winners of last year's editorial awards. Hurrah and hozannah! Now that half the journos have left the company I might be in with a chance of being named CNG's journalist of the year. I doubt it, but hey, miracles happen!
I might even drive through the City of Alannah MacTiernan Territory on my way to Mt Barker without being carjacked!

2 comments:

ThomP said...

I do walk around a lot mentioning that I know you... No one knows who I'm talking about (except the Mac Monkey), but oneday when they do, they'll remember that I knew you first and there will be some sort of " thom knows him" comment made... SWEET FAME!

Bolton said...

well may you scoff... but in the last two hours i've also been asked to take part in some kind of "celebrity" draw-off at the art gallery and a uni student wants to interview me for some kind of feature story she's doing. what a bizarre couple of days.