Sunday, October 29, 2006

The graffiti on the wall...

...said "you'll take this theatrical ass fucking...".
Well that had me sold already. *Bursts into a Julie Andrews-style chorus: "These are a few of my faaaaavourite things"*.
Can I just highly recommend this particular theatrical ass fucking to you? There is I think another week or two to run for Tomas Ford Versus The Audience at The Blue Room in Northbridge and it is well-worth going along and having yourself violated.
Tomas is a freaking talented young man. Anyone who can attract an audience that knows they are going to be offended and abused as well as entertained is worth his weight in gold. (I wouldn't let my own grandmother stick her thumb in my mouth, so to have a random stranger with eye make-up and a micropho... oh no, hang on, I probably have done that before: Connections is a world of opportunity).
Tomas' act isn't commercial - I don't know how you'd sell it to a mainstream audience. His music is technically fantastic and his act as a whole is brilliantly funny and entertaining. He deserves to have his art and his talent recognised more widely than it is at the moment, or than this particular version of his act will allow. That said - and this is what I'm leading to - I reckon he'll be huge and it will be interesting to see how his act evolves between now and when that happens.
Anyway, I'm going to stop banging on in case Tomas does something completely vain like google himself in order to sate his artistic appetite for adoration and acceptance.
The main thing is, get along to see this show. It'll do you good to be challenged by live theatre for a change.
And everyone can do with an ass fucking every now and again.

(Apologies to the DOA and Dad... I couldn't help it. I had to go there).

2 comments:

ThomP said...

He sounds fab. Unfortunately performers of a specific scene tend to fall into a pigeon hole fairly quickly and it is hard for them to get out. Stupid commercial loving shit heap that we live in. Lets hope he is one of those who can break the trend before the trend breaks him...

Bolton said...

Success in performing arts when taken in terms of exposure/remuneration/recognition is fundamentally commercial in nature. I don't know how you get around it.
But then, I am not capable of original thought. That's why I write about other people's creativity: I have none of my own.