Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Life as we know it, Jim

It's coming to a dramatic end.
For the last month I have been able to live in my house like a total slut and not worry a jot about it. But now... Dad is coming home.
He returns from Singapore tomorrow night - arriving at midnight, conveniently.
I cannot wait to see him. God bless him, I have missed him (and the dog, too, who has been exiled to the DOAs for the duration).
But I have assumed this slatternly lifestyle that is somewhere between Boheme and batchelor. The Hatchelor pad has well-and-truly become my territory... and now Dad is coming home and he is going to want it back.
So I've had to do a significant number of dishes. I've dealt with a lot of laundry (Until a week ago stuff Dad'd left on the line was still on the line... but I figured three weeks was long enough to make sure those sheets were aired). I've swept. I've aired the house out (I had just got the stench to the cut-the-air-with-a-knife density I like). I've watered the garden (although the philosophy "better late than never" does not seem to apply to plants: Go figure!). Hell, at some point tomorrow I will even collect the month's worth of mail (which I had promised him faithfully I would collect twice a week).
Yes, things have to change. I have to become human again.
I've missed Dad. I've become one of those 26-year-old's who lives at home with his parents and needs them to pick-up after him. Oh God - how pathetic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are your father's son, remember he moved home to his parents when he was 50!!!

How cool is this, my word verification word is soobyme

that is soooo me!!

Lindsay said...

hehe. My catbox is my haven. You are welcome to share my 47sqm anytime baby. At least you will be eating properly now...the orphan awaits her invitation x

ThomP said...

If i had more than 3 spare levels inmy mansion, I would offer you one... Alas I have but 3 spare levels, which is how many I really NEED. Plus, I have seen the marks that you leave on carpet... Just take the pill and stop giving tongue to the pets.

Anonymous said...

**testing, testing**

i'm writing this on behalf of nash who's having trouble getting thru