Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Maxine? Hello?


Oh my sweet Jesus.
It took me years to like Maxine McKew, but now I'm really sad she's leaving the ABC and possibly journalism, for good.
Good journos who are willing to take w*nkers like Howard to task are hard to come by.
My journalistic heroes include David Marr and Chris Masters, Kerry O'Brien and Tony Jones... all for different reasons.
Maxine was genuinely worthy of being included in that fold - a terrifying mealy-mouthed dragon lady... a vinegar-titted ice queen - but definitely worthy of being included in that fold.
What an enormous gap she will leave.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm likely to miss Maxine too. I wonder if her leaving at 54-and-a-bit is actually somehow based on public servant status and the massive CommSuper payouts older public servants can get?

Bolton said...

actually phil, thom's mum said exactly the same thing. apparently you can retire on 90% of you wage or something ridiculous like that.
still... i can't begin to imagine leaving a job like hers, even for that arrangement.
still... surely she can kinda come back?

Anonymous said...

Never fear, its not at all uncommon for them to retire, take the package then mysteriously reappear several months later on special tasks or as consultants....I don't think this will be the end of Maxine.