Wednesday, June 20, 2007

After 24hrs, I'm still happy

I'm actually still happy with what I've written. I've tidied and tightened it a little, but generally speaking, considering it is a first draft I'm pretty happy with it. I've got a little book here about writing which I'm occasionally picking up and reading tid-bits from in the hope it will provide a value insight to the literary process at the exact time I need it. Mostly it's stuff I know, but it's nice to know someone else has words to describe the stuff you're thinking.
So I wrote a little bit more.
I'm very descriptive. You know the way you just want to stab Wilbur Smith because he gives every single object, person, place or thing two adjectives. Well I'm not quite that bad, but I'm close. In spots I'm a little pretentious. And I think eight years in journalism has significantly limited my vocabulary. Stuff is described as 'brown', not 'smoky hues of burnt umber'. I don't think there is anything wrong with my way, it just seems uninspired.
But the plot, I'm happy with that at this stage. So I will plug away at it and perhaps give it to Kate to read.
I've written about four pages I think and am about to describe the incident which should probably actually start the book. Only I'm too attached at this stage to the stuff I've already written to scrap it and start again. So I'll push on from here. A bit of discipline further down the track might see that change.

No comments: