Thursday, June 07, 2007

Soundtrack of my life

Or call it Desert Island Discs, whatever cliche works for you.
I'm on a mission and that mission is to collect the music of my childhood. Stuff that hasn't been in my life certainly for the past decade or so since I left home.
I started tonight by buying a Loretta Lynn CD and a compilation of hits by Dr Hook. I know most people either won't have heard of these artists or if they have will be cringing like wild things, but these are two musical influences of my youth.
Mostly these are bands and singers from my mother's collection. Which I imagine was mostly influenced by her father who had a truly wicked music collection.
So I'm compiling here a list of albums/artists/groups I need to collect. If anyone spots albums by any of these artists you are duty bound to text me immediately:

Donna Fargo
Dolly Parton
Kenny Rogers
Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers
Loretta Lynn
Conway Twitty
Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty
Tom T Hall
Lynn Anderson
Burl Ives
Charley Pride
Hank Williams
Dr Hook
Credence Clearwater Revival
Meatloaf

There will be more, many more. But these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously they're mostly the country artists I remember because I'm listening to Miss Lynn at the moment and that's where my head is. But there are a lot more 70s artists I will include when I'm in the right headspace.
It's a funny thing, to not be embarrassed by once musical past any more. To feel the need to revisit it. To yearn to hear the music of your past. I'm fucking gagging to listen to Donna Fargo, if anyone spies any. Hello Little Bluebird, You Can't Be A Beacon, and United States of America are three tracks that particularly enter my head fondly.

4 comments:

Dave said...

I have a brilliant live copy of Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell that I will try and find for you. It's unreal - that guy has a serious set of lungs on him.

Bolton said...

Oh super-duper! Thanks Johnsy.

On a dark summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?

Yes.

Dave said...

Only if Meatloaf was asking...
By the way it's not the whole album live, it's just the song - but in its full 11-minute glory :)

nash said...

Oh Christ BG, I've got 'em all sitting right here!