Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fear is easier to sell than reason

Thom and I saw the preview of The Crucible at the Playhouse last night and I can tell you it is brilliant.
Perhaps one or two actors take the volume of righteous outrage too high too early, making it tedious every time they open their mouths, but that's all I could say to fault it. And that's really only because the play is so long.
I sat there getting more and more furious with the situation. As I often do when I see injustice before me. The fact Arthur Miller set it in the times of the Salem witch trials, the fact it was a parable for McCarthyism, makes it even more scary that it is EVERY BIT AS RELEVANT today.
Australians, westerners, are so bred and wedded to the idea of the politics of fear, that I fear we shall always fall back into this trap.
And the self-righteous, religious, smug, pious, and powerful, are likely to always win out.
Fear is easier to sell than reason.

No comments: