Monday, May 07, 2007

Spiderman 3: Nepotism in action

A good hour of this film should have stayed on the cutting room floor. An hour and a half into it I said to Thom, "Can this please be over". There was an hour to go.
While the visual effects are impressive, the love troubles between MJ and Peter make Peter less loveable and MJ slappable. There's soooo much set-up in order to introduce two new villains that my mind drifted back to some darning that I had to do at home.
Oh, and they scarred that beautiful James Franco, who I would consider marrying rather than just lusting after, if only he would join the dark side.

But the thing that shat me the most, was the ludicrous nepotism in the editing suite.
During the main action sequence there is an annoying bit with a little girl WHO CANNOT ACT. The editor of the Daily Bugle is hurriedly buying her camera off her. I said to Thom: "Why is this shit interrupting the action? It's shit. She must be on the director's daughter".
Fuck me with a chainsaw, but as the credits went up, there it was in black and white. Director's surname? Raimi. "Girl with camera"'s surname? Raimi. Well listen here Mr Raimi. Your blatant nepotism has affected the credibility of your filmmaking and badly interrupts the main action. Your judgement is coloured. Blurred. I hope to Christ you aren't asked to make any more films. That Spidey 3 will be badly received and your career will disappear up your arse enthusiastically.

But at very least, I must surely thank you for putting Tobey Maguire, James Franco and Topher Grace in the same strip of celluloid. That was cool.

2 comments:

Dave said...

How terrible. And this from the director who brought us such gems as The Evil Dead.

Lindsay said...

They did WHAT to James Franco's face? I couldn't bear it. I'll have to stick with watching Tristan and Isolde once a fortnight instead. mmmmm