Thursday, May 17, 2007

I had my first personal training session

Chest and biceps. We did chest and biceps. I don't hurt yet, but I can tell I'm going to. There are things my arms just won't do any more. Lift things, for instance. Not even just heavy things. Frankly my gym bag was a struggle.
Paris, the instructor, seems great. He has a sense of humour, sticks to the task, encourages me just enough, reassures me of where I'm at and keeps me in the loop on the game plan. I like that. He sorta is nurturing, although he scoffs at the idea. Whatever the style is, I think he's read me well because I feel comfortable.
The first exercise was on the chest press. I had to do 12 reps (listen to me, getting down with the jargon) on that before jumping down and doing push-ups. He had me on 20kgs and I boldly suggested that I had been doing 35kgs, so he said, "let's try it". Well I was fucked before I got to the push-ups but I did about 8 I think. The weight dropped to 30kg for the next lot of reps and I managed one push-up. Then the weight went down to 20kg and I didn't even manage one push-up. A lesson learned. We did a few other chest and arm exercises and I learned that, at some point, your body actually STOPS moving. I was willing my arms to lift the weight, the weight wasn't hurting me, but I couldn't shift it if you paid me.
Paris was happy with my first results. He said he was a bit surprised as he didn't expect me to do so well. Frankly nor did I. But I kinda hoped I'd be naturally brilliant and that after one session I'd have one of those Tobey-Maguire-in-the-mirror-in-the-first-Spiderman-film moments.
Alas no. More hard work for me. Good news is, I'm enjoying it. Which is half the battle.

1 comment:

Dave said...

The guy's name is Paris??