Sunday, May 27, 2007

I will disappoint you

Ultimately, I will constantly disappoint you.
I cannot possibly live up to the expectations you have built-up for me. I must have a look on my face that says "this boy will solve your problems", or something. I can't. And after so many weeks/months/years of listening and caring I'm throwing my hands-up. I'm exhausted from doing what I think is expected of me.
If you expect me to be anything other than a selfish and flawed individual then I will disappoint you.
I've not invited the expectations you put on me and I've never given any commitment to live up to them.
I can't and I don't want to in any case.
Sometimes you need to sort out your own shit on your own, without me there. Sometimes you need to take responsibility, rather than blame other people for not always being around to solve your shit.
In the past I have been there for you when you have needed it. I've tried to be there for a lot of people when they've needed it. I hold an honourary degree in pop-psychology
If I seem aloof and don't always answer the phone or forget something important, it is because I'm thinking about other stuff. Possibly myself. It's not that I don't love you, it's just that I'm spread rather thin and I'm engaged either with someone else or myself at that time.
And ultimately, while I'm busy not living up to your expectations, I will probably also not be living up to their's, either.
I'm giving up on being there for people. If people don't expect you to always be there for them, then they can't be disappointed in you. Instead of being let down because you're not there, they are thrilled when you actually turn-up. The prodigal son theory.
So this is a general notice. If you expect anything else from me, I will disappoint you.
I am cocooning. Turning my home into a hermitage. I'm retiring from society. I vont to be alone. Whatever. Gone fishing.

No comments: