Thursday, July 12, 2007

Fundamental mistake

So last night's random comedy effort: The audience laughed just enough that I didn't feel like I died, but not enough so that I feel confident about my material going into tonight's competition. Sure there were only about 50 people in the audience and tonight there will probably be about 300, but it didn't fill me with confidence.
Also learned a great lesson about not opening with new material. I didn't really know not to do that because, frankly, everything I do is new. My Alannah MacTiernan material didn't seem to even crack a smile. Not the bit I thought would, at any rate. When I desperately descended into a bit of ad-libbing about her knowing where the best booze in Perth is, that got a laugh. Who knew?
I skipped through a lot of my material, missing a few gags on the way. The way I structure a set, gags include enough information to set-up the next gag, thereby saving time. And I fluffed so much stuff that I'm not sure I gave enough information to give each joke it's full impact.
I was nervous. Too nervous. And under-rehearsed. I don't have a lot of time to rehearse before tonight's gig, but I will be getting as much practice in as I can before tonight's gig.
And I won't be opening with the Alannah material!
Hope to see you all there. I need all the support I can get.

3 comments:

my name is kate said...

Good luck and don't stress - every crowd is different and people are weird - some people found Everybody loves Raymond funny, you know. I'm just saying...

Anonymous said...

I want to hear the Ally Mac Crack!

Lindsay said...

baby, the Brass is a hard room. I'm not sure many people there would know who you were talking about. you'll be fine tonight. Wish I could come but Andrea bagged me first.