Monday, July 23, 2007

Schweet... day one out of the way

This is going to mean a wholesale lifestyle change. Part of me doesn't like that but the rest of me knows how lucky I am to have been given this opportunity and I don't want to waste it.
It was day one at my new job today and I was over-awed by the building and the people and the facilities (I mean they have a gym, with trainers, a full-on canteen with cheap food and a dry-cleaning service).
I was in training for the morning learning a system not unlike the one we used at Community but just different enough to be a little confusing. It felt funny to write a story without any Alun Jones comments ficking up on the screen.
I wrote my first story this afternoon and had to book a pic to go with it. I must say whilst I was dutifully shown the gym and the dry cleaning service, a few important things were not actually explained:
a) the roster, and when I'm on it
b) where the toilets are
c) how to book a photographer
d) how to book a car and a phone
e) where my stories come from
f) when deadline is
g) who I tell when I've written my story
h) that other people are writing other stories on the same subject matter, and that I ONLY need to worry about my angle in the story
i) who the hell all my colleagues are
I'm sure there are more. I spent the afternoon in a bit of daze. Would you believe when a story was finally chucked at me to do (at about 3.30pm) they said "you have 15minutes to find a someone who's really pissed-off about this and we need a pic booked... I suggest you get the Yellow Pages and start phoning".
Jesus.
Welcome.
But I achieved what I was asked to achieve and, I believe, the story is going on page three. Those of you reading this Tuesday morning might like to check and see if I have a byline. Or indeed, if the story is even there.
I like the rush, but I feel a little isolated down my end with the new people. Looking forward to moving closer to the main news desks as soon as I get the chance (someone is retiring and I'm taking her desk). Looking forward to getting stuck in to whatever they ask me to do next, having learned a few things from today's blind experience and knowing how better to handle it. Looking forward to breaking some serious news, not that it is expected in my first six months, apparently. Looking forward to becoming comfortable, becoming part of the furniture.
Hoping I don't lose the rest of my life though. I think there are going to be life/work balance issues.

3 comments:

my name is kate said...

Your description gives me one part the fear and one part jealousy. I'm sure all the Community crew will have their eyes peeled for a glimpse of the ol' byline. That's sweet that you get a gym, too, even if it is lacking in hot WAAPA boys.

Dave said...

Nice work dan!

Lindsay said...

Hurrah! p3 it is! Nice work darling. I loves ya.