Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Not so bad, actually

I think sending a new reporter to stand outside Centrelink to voxpop "dole bludgers" (and get their photos) is the newspaper equivalent of the old left-handed spanner thing on building sites.
The "let's chuck the new boy a completely fucking stupid mission and see what he does" approach to managing new staff.
Well, as predicted my intro was rewritten to suit the headline desired, but I think people could read from the disjointed story that it wasn't my work. The opening two pars don't really match the rest of the yarn. But it went page three again... so I'm doing okay still.
Today was much more exciting: I got to write a lead. Not page three, obviously, but page 13 will be good enough for me if the story is 40cms. It was fun. I enjoyed my mission today.
Tomorrow's task has already been entrusted to me. They're sending the new boy undercover. Sort of. And I'm thoroughly excited.
This may not be so bad after all. I can handle occasional bad day if the rest of the time is as fun as today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marvellous article!!! Good job and keep it up
Cheers Darrelle

Dave said...

Her hear, great article!