Thursday, July 26, 2007

I failed

Today didn't quite go according to plan. Not only did my story fall through, so did I - literally - and I think I've broken my foot.
I am in severe pain and am hobbling like a lame sparrow.
The angle of the story changed three times and has now been held for Saturday because Alannah didn't get back to me in time. As I sat there waiting for the call, watching the deadline sail past, I couldn't help but think how ironic all our plaintiff cries at Community were: "She wouldn't do this to the West". She does.
So kudos to her on the egalitarian treatment. I must admit I did enjoy it when she said "of course the real story is (insert actually a very good point here) but you won't print that". I had to stop myself from finishing her sentence with Stuart's hilarious Alannah anecdote punchline: "I look forward to reading that somewhere between the polocrosse results and the hockey".
By that time I was actually in blistering pain. You see, I jumped a fence today and landed very badly indeed. I have possibly sprained my ankle or broken something vitally important to human functioning... in my foot... and I think I'm going to die, so bad is the pain.
Amazingly, I have to face the story again tomorrow... and try and find an angle that sticks, is truthful, and is in the paper's style. I'm beginning to realise that isn't very easy to do.

No comments: