Thursday, July 26, 2007

Harry Potter and the Dreary Hallows (this is not a spoiler)

Okay, so it wasn't really dreary. I did enjoy it. I ploughed through it enthusiastically.
It was a page-turner, but not in the good way. I'd invested so much energy in the characters I just wanted to know whether they lived or died and whether everything added up in the end.
And I think everything was pretty well explained by JK and the way it was explained was also nicely clever. I make no complaints on that front.
I just thought that, for most of the book, pretty much nothing happens.
Then the last 100 or so pages I actually found quite a ripping read.
Except for the epilogue, which I thought was... well... suburban, actually.
I'd comment more but I refuse to print a spoiler.
Except for one thing... can anyone tell me, was that fucking baby in the ethereal Kings Cross Station a metaphor for something because I just totally missed it? I kept waiting for its significance to pop up and it didn't.

4 comments:

my name is kate said...

I thought the epilogue was a complete rort too and I would say more but I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't yet had the disappointment of a lame epilogue tacked onto a good read.

my name is kate said...

Oh and I thought the baby-thing was Voldemort, no?

Andrew said...

I didn't like the Epilogue.

BUT I agree with you totally. I don't think we needed so much Dumbledore or Wand story. I got over that very quickly.

The final hogwarts Battle was probably the best IMO.

And the wierd baby, I thought it was just to show how "Good" Dumbledore was, helping people find their way to the afterlife.

Anonymous said...

I was half-hoping for an Eraserhead exploding baby moment..alas!

Ok, my thought was that the baby was the evil bit of Harry's soul dying, the Horcruxy bit that Voldemort had tacked onto, hence why he couldn't help it?