Monday, July 16, 2007

Pottering around

I've not been into Pottermania at all.
I have made an effort to go to all the movies and I quite like the franchise and the fantasy, but I haven't bothered to sit down and read the books.
On the weekend we saw the latest film.
It was so functional. A bridge between two stories. It was somehow not a complete piece.
Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it didn't seem to carry the full weight of the book. It required enormous leaps of faith which I expect were explained in JK Rowling's original text.
So, I've finally done it. I've gone out an bought a copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
Thom says it is by far the most arduous of the series, but I simply MUST know the stuff that has been missed. He, who has read the books, mentioned underground newspapers and all-sorts of exciting stuff.
Typical me to get on board with something like this so exceptionally late... just as the last book is about to be released.

2 comments:

my name is kate said...

I hate to be a pain but you should really start with the third book, which is where the whole series takes off and gets awesome. The movies are sub par compared to the books, which are extremely enjoyable. I can barely control my bladder in anticipation of this weekend's book release...

Andrew said...

Did you read the books first or watch the movies?

I saw 1 and 2 and snobbed them. Then, I had to READ one of the books and from there I was hooked.

STill, Umbridge is awesomely evil, right?